Handling the Aftermath of an Earthquake
Here’s what you should do after an earthquake.
If you live in California, then you know the risk of an earthquake always looms overhead. Unfortunately, a major earthquake can strike with very little warning, leaving danger and mass destruction in it’s wake. This is why it’s so important that you and your loved ones are ready to handle the aftermath of this major natural disaster. Here’s what you should do after an earthquake hits.
1) Take a moment to steady yourself. It’s natural to be panicked, but it’s important that you gather yourself and manage to think calmly and rationally.
2) Check yourself for any injuries. Then, make sure that everyone around you is okay. Provide first aid for anyone who needs it.
3) Check your home for damages. Be especially careful to look for damage on your water, gas, and electric lines. If you notice any issues, make sure you shut off your home’s utilities. Be particularly wary of gas leaks. If you smell gas, then open your windows and doors and evacuate the home. Once you are safely out, report the leak to the authorities.
4) Rely on the radio to get information about the situation. Do not call the authorities unless it’s an emergency; you don’t want to tie up the phone lines.
5) If your home is badly damaged then evacuate it. Make sure that your grab your emergency disaster kits before you go. Do not return to your home or enter any other damaged buildings until they have been declared safe.
6) Expect aftershocks. After a major earthquake, you need to be ready for more shaking. While some aftershocks will be mild, other aftershocks can be almost as powerful as the original quake.
These are some of the things you should do after an earthquake. Remember, one of the best ways to protect your home, belongings, and loved ones from a natural disaster is by having the proper insurance protections in place. To get the coverage you need, turn to the experts at Remland Insurance in Orange, California. Our dedicated team is ready to assist you with all your insurance needs. Contact us to get started today