Spring Tips for a Green Lawn
They say that “curb appeal” adds great value to the overall worth of any property. Fresh colorful flowers, nicely trimmed trees, a fresh paint job and fresh cut grass can take your California home to the next level! If you do not have a gardening service some maintain all of the plants and grass…it may be time to re-evaluate the proper way to mow your lawn year-round so it stays healthy and green all year long!
Here in California, we typically have nice weather throughout the year, so grass gets plenty of sunshine and water if treated properly. Grass varieties each have an “ideal mowing height” where they look best. The range is 2-3 inches for Bahia Grass while Bermuda Grass is recommended only 1-2 inches in height. (To properly evaluate your grass, check out this Grass guide).
Some great tips to remember while cutting your grass:
- Stick to the one-third rule – Never cut more then 1/3 of the grass blade off of a thriving lawn. Be sure to set your mover to the proper setting before starting on the lawn
- Mow the lawn when it’s very dry and give it a long sprinkler or watering session when finished
- Do not put grass clippings into a plastic bag…be sure to place them in the “green” items trash can so they can be turned into mulch at the local trash plant
- Grass clippings can also be left directly on the lawn as a substitute fertilizer. The pieces break down and quickly reduce the amount of fertilizer you need to use by at least 25%
- Protect your hearing while mowing the lawn by wearing an ear-muff type of protection
- Be careful when fueling your lawn mower, gas must be replenished safely and not spilt on the machine. Excess gasoline can cause a fire when the engine starts back up
Save some money and start mowing your own lawn today! Not only will you get a great cardiovascular workout in, you will also gain the satisfaction knowing that your hard work went into maintaining your beautiful yard.