Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

California Condo Insurance Tips

California Condo Insurance Tips

condo ins

In Southern California, owning a “condo” is very popular and in many cases a more affordable way to own your home.   But what about the California insurance on your condominium?  Is it the same as insuring a single family home?  Let’s take a quick look at the key element necessary to insure your condo correctly.

It’s important to know that a condominium is not a specific kind of building, but a form of ownership.  It can be in the form of a townhouse, a converted apartment, maybe in a high-rise building, or a free standing dwelling.  The word “Condominium” is a Latin word meaning joint ownership or control.  So in terms of housing, it denotes individual ownership in a multi unit project, with land and all other parts of the project held in common with the owners of the other units.

It is crucial to understand what you are responsible to insure, and to do that, you will need to look carefully at the master policy held by your homeowner’s association.  It will spell out the details of who insured the common areas (garages, sidewalks, swimming pools).  And it spells out what you are responsible to insured in your unit as well.  These policies range from the unit owner being responsible for everything in the unit from the unfinished walls inward, or, only for the personal property you own and any additions done to the unit after purchase. 

The key to this coverage is making sure you protect your personal property with a condo-owners policy.  This covers your personal property (with some limitations) based on a value that you determine on a replacement cost basis.  This policy will also cover any upgrades to the interior of the unit as well, but you must add this onto the policy by endorsement.  For example you put in granite countertops, or upgraded carpet.  You will need to protect the value of these items in your policy.

Finally, loss assessment coverage may be needed as well.   Most associations in their by-laws contain provisions to assess each unit owner with a proportionate share of property losses and liability claims, when the master policy does not cover the loss.  Most policies carry $1000 coverage, but you will want to increase this limit on your policy.  And if you rent out your unit, then the coverage would change once again, to protect the upgrades to the property, loss of rental income, and liability for the unit itself.  

This is a quick overview of the condo California insurance policy.   Please contact Remland Insurance with any further questions or to review this coverage in detail and make sure you have the proper coverage with the right limits where needed.  Remland Insurance 714)532-3341  

Written by: Gary Remland 


The COVID 19 virus has certainly changed our lives for the short term both at home and at work. Our office is working in compliance with state and local officials and their request to minimize contact with others for the short term so that we can shorten the life of this virus.
As such, our offices will be available by phone or by e mail 8-5 Monday thru Friday. If you need to make an appointment to come by, please call us before you drop by, so we can reduce risk, and take care of our staff and just be safe.
Please don’t hesitate to call us and if for some reason you can’t reach us, please look at our website for carrier contact information. Thank You for your continued business.

Contact us Call Us