Plumbing Upgrades Worth the Investment
Have you ever wondered why your insurance agent asked you the question “what year was your home built?” To explain it briefly, the older the home, the more likely it is to have serious defects, claims and damages happen. Critical building systems like the electrical, plumbing, roofing and HVAC age just like humans do and tend to slow down or break down as time goes on. Newer homes are equip with newer technology and systems that still have years of good use left in them causing less claims and damages for the insurance carrier to cover.
Renovations and additional systems installed in the home can help lower your annual California home insurance policy depending on which system is replaced. The age of the structure doesn’t always represent the age of all its parts so be sure to disclose any major updates to your insurance provider. One major issue that Insurance Journal – West Region mentions in this the March 2013 issue is the impact of damaged or old plumbing pipes. If your property is over 30 years old,your insurance underwriter will most likely ask the following questions:
- What type of water piping supply does the building currently have? The most typical varieties are Copper, Galvanized & Polybutylene.
- When was this plumbing installed?
- What condition is it in?
- Has the piping been updated in any part of the building? If so when was it done and was it a partial or full update?
- Have there been any claims or problems with the existing plumbing or pipes?
- When was the laundry hose last replaced?
- When was the water heater installed? What condition is it in?
- What type of fuel runs through the water heater?Natural Gas, Electric, Oil etc…
- Are the drain pipes in the home made from cast iron, clay or another material?
Depending on the answers of each of these questions your California insurance premium can vary. Do your very best to document all construction and improvements in order to keep the most accurate account of your homes infrastructure. After all, it could make a huge impact on your yearly insurance and help prevent any major claims or leaks.
Remland Insurance agents are here to help! If you would like your current California home insurance policy reviewed or quoted please give our office a call today at 714) 532-3341 and we would be happy to help.