Planning To Do Some Memorial Day Boating? Be Sure Your California Boatowners Insurance Is Up To Date!
Do you have a boat, or want to get a boat for the summer? A California Boatowners insurance policy covers both the physical property of the boat and liability protection against the legal and financial consequences of injuring others or damaging property that belongs to others.
Physical Property coverage includes:
- Boats – property designed to travel on water, including sails, all permanent equipment, spars and fittings.
- Boating Equipment – Including a wide variety of property that is used when boating, including accessories.
- Communication devices(radios)
- sonar, radar
- outboard motors
- skis and sports equipment (recreational flotation devices) that are towed by boats
As a general rule, the more related an item is to the ownership and use of a boat, the more it can be justified as boating equipment.
- Boat Trailers – Trailers used for transporting boats
All this property has to be owned by the person who is named as the policyholder. There are a few cases where property that is “temporarily” in the policyholder’s possession also qualifies for coverage.
Boating property that is used in business activity, losses that occur during races or competitions (sailboats are an exception) and boats that are used as full-time residences, are not covered under this California Boatowners policy.
Boating Liability Coverage:
- A Boatowners insurance policy also covers claims or lawsuits caused when another person is injured, and /or when another person’s property is damaged or destroyed. The liability portion would also provide a legal defense against lawsuits.
- There is coverage under the liability section for medical payments. This provides reimbursement for emergency or immediate medical treatment expense.
A Boatowners liability coverage does NOT cover losses that involve business activity, transmission of communicable disease, unauthorized operation of boating property, intentional acts, and criminal activity.
If you own a boat, or are thinking of buying one, please call your insurance agent and make sure you have the right policy with the right coverage to protect you while you have FUN!!!