Is Holiday Shipping Insurance Really Necessary?
The holiday season is by far the busiest time of year for the Post Office. An estimated 17 billion Christmas Cards, letters and packages go out on mail trucks in your local neighborhood via the United States Postal Service while other shipping companies like UPS and FedEx ship between 300-600 million packages each during the Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is a critical time for your packages to be wrapped and sealed properly and addressed correctly. It’s very easy for a package to get “lost” in the mail or even stolen off your doorstep during the holiday season which brings us to the topic of shipping insurance.
All three carriers are extremely reliable sources to use when it comes to mailing packages and cards across the world. Each have their own system of organization and delivery method, but will shipping insurance really make a difference? Here are 5 little known facts about the benefits of shipping insurance and your holiday gifts:
- Each domestic UPS parcel is covered automatically up to a value of $100 in Express Mail, so if you are shipping something valued at less than that amount don’t bother adding additional shipping insurance.
- Read the fine print before shipping anything of value to a loved one! For example, UPS will not cover the cost of any lost coins, cash or precious stones…so be sure to choose the proper carrier.
- File a claim form if your package is damaged, lost or stolen. Companies will not just send a check out of the goodness of their hearts; you must do the grunt work if this situation occurs!
- Keep your shipping slip as proof you send a package. This is good practice to do until you have heard that the recipient has received the package and it is all intact!
- You can purchase 3rd party shipping insurance through companies like Shipsurance.com and Stamps.com. If you plan to send something irreplaceable or very valuable this holiday season, consider purchasing additional insurance to cover all your bases!
Happy Holiday shopping and shipping season to each and every one of you from our staff at Remland Insurance Services! When it comes to sending gifts to precious loved ones this Christmas, be sure you purchase the proper shipping insurance coverage for the most important packages!