Important Questions For Renters To Ask
Are you currently in the market for a new place to rent in the Orange County area? If so…stay tuned because we are going to share with you the top 10 questions to ask your future landlord or renters association that will truly help you out during your season of renting. When new tenants arrive to checkout apartments, condominiums and homes, they often get so excited that they forget to ask the “hard questions” that could make all the difference in the world.
The percentage of available rental vacancies are down 4.9 due to the economic downturn the US has been in the last few years. With a smaller amount of properties available, renters tend to take units in a complex they would normally not agree to if others were available. Renters should take into consideration many factors other than just the inside of the actual space.Outdoor spaces, amenities, public transportation and pet allowances are all large factors as well these days.
The important questions to ask:
- How is the water pressure? Shower pressure and sink pressure can be a serious cause for frustration, so test them out in your exact unit.
- Is there cell phone service? With most Americans doing away with land line phones, it’s crucial that your cellular phone works in your new home.
- How big are the rooms? Be sure to do a walk through in your exact unit so that you know what you are getting into. Bring along a measuring tape to measure the space yourself!
- If the complex/rental property located in a noisy area? Drive by or walk by at different times of the day and week to see what “normal” sounds would be like around your new home.
- Is the air quality fresh? High rise buildings near the freeway may cost less, but have terrible pollution in the air that could harm you or your children.
- How well do the air conditioning and heater work? Will you be suffering through the summer and winter months? Be sure to check out the quality of the heating and air system.
- Are there any additional amenities? Work our facility, pool, computer lounge, club house that renters may use?
- Does the property come with rental insurance, or should I obtain my own California renters insurance?
- Where do deliveries go to? How does the complex handle the UPS of FedEx worker delivering a package?
- Is there an elevator? If you have a child with a stroller or a family member with a wheelchair, this is crucial to make your life easier.
Simply print this list, or make some notes and be sure to ask these questions when you go to check out your next rental home. It’s always a good idea to obtain California renters insurance so all your belongings will be protected in case of a fire or break in. Good luck to you as you search for the perfect place to call “home.”