Home Safety Tips to Winterize Your Home
Is your home ready for winter? If it is not, do you know how to winterize your home?
The winter brings a big change to the weather, one that could cost you when you try to heat your home to comfortable levels. If your home is not prepared for winter, you could essentially be throwing away money. Additionally, you may want to take these steps that can help you winterize your home and save money for these unforgiving cold months.
- Keep Away Pests
• Clean your home thoroughly to take away any potential homes for any new “residents” looking to move in from the cold weather outside.
• Make sure the weather-stripping, insulation, and exterior doors and windows are well sealed in order to keep any creepy-crawlies out.
• Chimneys should be inspected by a chimney sweep and cleaned to ensure there are no nests laying around.
- Protect It From Thieves
• Make sure that your security systems work, especially if you are going out of town for these cold winter months.
• Before you leave the house, double-check that your windows and doors are locked. Secure your doors and windows with a deadbolt lock and secure-type hinges, respectively.
• Store the valuables that you are not taking with you in a safe deposit box or other location.
- Insulate It
• Natural gas prices are at an all-time high, and due to the SoCalGas leak, it could spike even more. Make sure that you insulate your home well in order to keep as much heat inside as possible.
A quality home insurance policy covers your home against fire, storm, smoke, theft, vandalism, and a number of other damages. But, a home insurance policy is only good if you know how to use it to serve you, not the other way around. Call Remland Insurance today for additional safety information or to update your California home insurance policy in Orange County and surrounding areas – 714.532.3341