Five Family Friendly Fireplace Tips
Have you ever stopped to take the time to tell your kids about fire place safety? California has been experiencing a very warm winter so far, but as we head into our first “rainy” weekend of the year, more and more fireplaces will be in use. Make sure your California home insurance policy is ready for winter.
Here are a few helpful tips to share with your family about the proper use of your indoor fireplace:
- Use a safety screen or properly cut glass door in front of the fireplace opening to prevent ashes and embers from floating out
- Never use flammable liquids (lighter fluid) in a wood-burning stove or fireplace
- Teach children not to touch the screens or glass in front of the fireplace as it will become hot
- Do not close your damper until you are sure the fire has gone out
- Be sure the fire is completely out before heading to bed for the night
The list goes on and on, but we wanted to remind you just how important it is to educate your family members about fire safety at home. It only takes a second for your home to go up in flames. Enjoy your fire place this winter season, but use caution and good practice.
If you need any further advice or would like to make sure your fireplace is listed on your California home insurance policy, give us a call today at 714) 532-3341
Written by: Christi Gartner
Source: Amica – Photo Credit: To Be True