Dangerous and Deadly: Common Items That Could Harm Your Pets
Pets are an important part of the family. Many dogs (and cats) are almost considered a “child” in the typical American home, and it’s important to take the very best care of them so they stay around as long as possible. In the past year over 100,000 cases of pet poisoning in the United States alone. Many were caused by typical household items left in places dogs could get to them…others happened due to very curious dogs searching for something to get their nose into.
Here is a list inspired by the ASPCA.org website that will help you to protect your pooch in 2014:
- Chocolate – large amounts induce seizures and cardiac arrest
- Avocados – toxic to domestic animals due to a compound called ‘persin’
- Grapes/Raisins – known to cause kidney failure in animals
- Xylitol – this sweetener can cause liver damage
- Onions/Garlic/Chives – can cause gastrointestinal issues when consumed in large doses
- Yeast in dough – dough can cause intestinal ruptures
- Flowers – lilies, daffodils, azaleas & poinsettias
If you leave large amounts of the above offenders out where your pet could get to them, be aware of the damage they can cause. If your pet ever ingests something toxic, it’s important to stay calm, remove the pet from that area and call your vet or emergency vet ASAP.