Carmageddon II Tips
This weekend in Southern California, marks the start of “Carmageddon II.” This will not greatly affect the Orange County area, but will completely affect the Los Angeles freeway system through the weekend. A 10-mile stretch of the 405 freeway near West Los Angeles will be shut down for 53 hours and drivers will be sent on a detour in order to get around the closure. The main issue is that this particular road carries nearly half a million motorists each weekend, and those drivers will need to find other ways to get around for that period of time.
Carmageddon II is well planned out, and prepping to go as you read this blog. We would highly recommend staying away from the Los Angeles area this weekend if at all possible, and if you must drive in that area, be sure to map out a better route for your trip. The following tips are provided by Edmunds Inside Line:
- Stay Home – this is obviously the best solution, but of course there are people who need to carry about their weekend business.
- Plan a re-route – before you leave your home, be sure to plan an alternate route, and use the capabilities of your smart phone to assess the best way. You can also dial 511 for up to date traffic from your cell phone.
- Abide by Freeway Signs – Be careful while driving on any freeway or marked highway. The road closure signs are extremely important, and should not be avoided.
- Stay calm – If you plan to drive into the mess…then plan to relax! There is no rushing through this type of traffic since crews will be working to re-direct the cars arriving at the closure.
- Update your Auto Insurance – Always be sure your California auto insurance premium is paid and up-to-date. You never know what kind of drivers you will come in contact with in a massive traffic jam!
Have a safe and fun-filled weekend with your loved ones! If you must drive on the 405 freeway do your best to avoid the Sepulveda Pass area.