How to Clean Your Gutters for Fall
Make sure your fall home maintenance is complete; learn how to clean your gutters this fall!
While autumn’s falling leaves are beautiful to look at, they also mean more work for you. During fall, leaves accumulate in your home’s gutters and can result in clogging. Failing to address these clogs can result in broken gutters, flooding, and, in the most extreme cases, a damaged foundation. Don’t let something as small as a clogged gutter get the best of your home; learn how to clean your gutters this fall.
Before you tackle your gutters, make sure you take the necessary safety precautions. Cleaning your gutter requires climbing up a ladder, so make sure you feel safe doing so. Also, you should never use a ladder while it’s windy or raining. Finally, avoid using a ladder while you’re alone. Make sure someone knows where you are, or even better, have someone assist you as you clean your gutters.
To clean your gutters, you’ll need:
1) Position your ladder near your gutter. Spread the tarp beneath the section of gutter you will be cleaning to catch any fallen debris.
2) Climb up the ladder and have someone hand you the bucket. If possible, attach the bucket to the ladder so you don’t have to worry about it falling.
3) Using gloved hands, scoop out large debris and deposit it into the bucket. Continue this for the entire length of your gutter.
4) Clean out smaller debris by flushing out your gutters and downspout with a hose.
5) Use your screwdriver to tighten any loose sections of gutter and you’re good to go!
This fall, follow this simple step-by-step guide to learn how to clean your gutters and prepare your home for any weather that comes its way. Another way to prepare our house for anything is to make sure it’s covered by the right insurance. To find the best homeowner’s insurance for you, trust the professionals at Remland Insurance in Orange, California. Contact us for assistance with all your insurance needs.